Dodital is a beautiful lake situated at a height of 3024 mts surrounded by dense forests of Deodar, Pine, Oak, etc. with the backdrop of Darwa Bugyal, a high altitude meadow; Dodital Lake is the source of the River Asi Ganga that merges with the River Bhagirathi near Gangotri. The lake is about three kilometres in circumference.
The Dodi Lake is a fresh water lake and a tempting trout pool. "Dodi" is the local name of the trout. Multitudes of trout float in the lake, hence the name of 'Dodital'. One can easily spot the Shining red spotted Himalayan Golden Trout in the crystal clear waters.
There is a temple which is devoted to Ganesha. Legend has it that Dodital is the birthplace of Lord Ganesha, who also selected this place as his abode. Another name for this lake is Dhundital meaning Ganesh ka tal(Lake of Ganesha). The trek takes you through high altitude grasslands and dense forests.
Day 01: Trek from Sangamchatti to Bhebra. (4 Hours trek, Overnight stay in Tents).
Day 02: Trek from Bhebra to Dodital (6 Hours, Overnight stay in tents).
Day 03: Trek from Dodital to Darwa Top and back to Dodital (8 Hours, Overnight stay in tents).
Day 04: Trek from Dodital to Agoda (5 hours, Overnight stay in tents).
Day 05: Trek from Agoda to Sangamchatti ( 4 Hours trek).
Cost : On Request (per person) from Sangamchatti to Sangamchatti for group size 8-10 members
|Minimum Group Size||6|
|Group Size of 6-7||On Request per person|
Summiters will try to keep an optimal group size of 9-10 to keep the cost to a minimal. The initial fees could be collected assuming a group size of 9-10 people. However, in case the group size is smaller Summiters will inform the participants a month in advance of the departure date, the group size of the program. The participants would be requested to pay "the difference amount" as per the size of the group.
- Guides (two) :
- One Basic Mountaineering Course qualified Guide from Summiters .
- One Local Guide who has extensive knowledge of the route .
- Vegetarian meals on the trek (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner).
- Cooks/Helper and other requisite staff.
- Porters/mules for carrying common equipments (like rations/tents/utensils/)
- Equipments - Tents on sharing basis / Sleeping bags / Sleeping Mats / Kitchen Tents.
- Basic First aid Kit.
- Forest Permits and camping charges.
- Personal trekking equipments – like trekking poles or sleeping ban liners.
- Personal Porters for carrying backpacks of trekkers.
- Personal insurance or cost of emergency evacuation.
- Purchases of personal natures (like mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages/chocolates/dry fruits etc).
- Night stay in Uttarkashi.
- Transportation costs from Uttarkashi to Trail head (Sangamchatti) and back.
- Food during transportation.
Any other extra expenses incurred on the trek which is not mentioned in the cost includes section.
Q: How do I get to Uttarkashi from Delhi?
A: There is an overnight train from Delhi to Haridwar. At Haridwar, you can find several buses/ shared taxis which will take you from Haridwar to Uttarkashi. Typically a seat in a shared taxi costs around Rs 250/- . The distance between haridwar and Uttarkashi is approximately 175 kms and it may take around 6 hours to reach uttarkashi. Summiters will arrange a sumo from Uttarkashi to Sangamchatti and the cost of the Sumo is Rs 3000/- . This cost is to be borne and shared by the participants. The sumo can accommodate 6 people comfortably.
The same applies while returning as well.
Q: I do not want to carry my rucksack. Can arrangements be made to carry it?
A: We expect the trekkers to carry their own backpack and recommend the same. In exceptional cases where assistance is needed Summiters can help make arrangements for an extra personal porters but this will be extra cost which will be borne by the participants. It is requested that, as far as possible, trekkers inform of this need before the trek.
Q: Will part of my money be refunded if I drop out of the trek mid way?
A: If you drop out of the trek mid-way the money would not be refunded. Also, the individuals would have to bear actual charges that are incurred, like arranging pony/porter/transportation to get you back safely to the trailhead.
Q: Is it possible to combine white water rafting at Rishikesh along with this trip?
A: After the completion of the trek, instead of returning to Delhi, participants can take a taxi to Rishikesh from Uttarkashi and rafting can be arranged by Summiters from Shivpuri to Laxman Jhoola (Rishikesh) (16 KMs distance) for Rs 800. You can contact us for further details.
After the rafting, participants can take a bus to haridwar and then take a train back to delhi. If you want to choose this rafting option, please keep us informed well in advance so we can make arrangements for the same.
Q: Who can do this trek?
A: If you can walk on an average of 5 to 6km without a problem, then you can! If you have specific health issues like asthma, heart issues or the likes, consult your doctor before participating in the trek.
Q: How cold does it get?
A: It depends on where you come from, but from an Indian context – it can get quite cold. The temperature in the higher regions can touch -5 degrees at night. So be prepared and carry warm clothing. Although multiple layers will serve the purpose, it can get quite heavy and uncomfortable. Your best bet would be to buy a professional high altitude jacket.
Q: What should we carry?
A: The following items are a must-carry:
Shoes: A good pair of shoes is a must - a good pair does not mean your Adidas/ Nike/ Reebok/ Puma sport shoe. You need a pair that can withstand the wear and tear of walking for many days. A bad shoe can ruin your trek by causing blisters. Ask us, we can help you in choosing the right one for your budget.
The other things you need to carry are : gloves, a skull cap, a sun hat/cap, your personal clothes and toiletry kit, a good pair of sun glasses, a water bottle and your personal medicines (if necessary).Your sleeping bag, mat and tents will be provided to you by Summiters.
Q: What food do you provide?
A: We provide simple vegetarian food that is light and suitable for trekking. Don’t expect pizza hut or an Anand Bhavan - nor will you have to go hunting. You will have enough and when you are tired – anything served will taste superb!
Q: Is the mountain water safe to drink?
A: Yes. It’s as pure as it can be. But if you are finicky – you can buy mineral water
Q: Can I charge my phone on the trek?
A: The last point where you can charge it is at Bhebra but this is subject to availability of electricity during your stay.
Q: How can I prepare myself?
A: Take daily long walks or jogs.
Terms and Conditions
(*All about the elusive star*)
- Summiters will try to keep an optimal group size of 9-10 to keep the cost to a minimal. The initial fees could be collected assuming a group size of 9-10 people. However, in case the group size is smaller Summiters will inform the participants a month in advance of the departure date, the group size of the program. The participants would be requested to pay "the difference amount" as per the current size of the group.
- Booking must be confirmed 30 days prior to date of departure by paying the full amount – It takes lot of effort, time and money in planning the trek in remote locations. So please give us enough time to make your journey a lifetime’s journey.
- All expenses accruing from change in schedule due to weather conditions or health issues are to be borne by the participants. Summiters will not be responsible for the weather or your personal health issues.
- Cancellation policy – We plan everything for you well in advance, so that your trip is hassle-free and as smooth as possible. This means that porter fees, permits, accommodation expenses are all paid in advance. Any cancellation will mean inconvenience and loss to all the people involved in making your journey successful. Therefore, it is only fair to pass on the accrued costs to you.Our policy is:-
- Cancellation prior to 30 days from date of departure : Full Refund
- Cancellation between 30 days to 20 days prior to date of departure: 50% Refund
- Cancellation between 20 days prior to date of departure and departure date: No Refund
- No Show : No Refund